Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Market Day


As my sister and I got in to the car it was with great delight that I was able to observe to Jim Miller that barely making it as far as the duck pond by seven o’clock made him somewhat of a lightweight. On Tuesday you see I had been late on parade and he had raised a stern avuncular eyebrow. The very idea that Mr Miller should once more call me a slacker propelled me from my bed at ten to six this morning and so, after an unsuccessful forage for puffballs on Bindon Hill, I was ready good and early for Dorchester market.
Indeed so early that many of my favourites were still setting stall and my sister and I were forced to look at selections of rusty tools and various ‘bad mother’ items.
I enjoy Dorchester market for its selection of food. It can generally be relied upon to put a few treats and novelties on the table.
For tea today I have had the following.
Asparagus, steamed and with melted butter. Not bad but I was sad to see that the asparagus had been flown all the way from Peru. I only spotted this on a sneaky label after I had got it home.
Some little gourds, green and about the size of a large orange. These I boiled, scooped out and refilled. Removing the seeds, I chopped the flesh with bacon, tomato, onion and garlic and enough cornflour and butter to make a thick mix which I used to refill them. I covered the tops with a thickness of grated cheese and then shoved them under the grill for a few minutes.
Next the great chieftain of the meatball race. The British faggot. Made on some farm nearby, according to the label. These with plain boiled potatoes, a little savoy cabbage and some tomato and onion gravy.
Natural yoghourt, with figs and passion fruit.
Local goats cheese.
Finally some coffee and walnut cake with a cup of coffee.
I made that six courses.
For some reason I now seem to need a snooze.
Just a little whisky to help it all settle I think.

I apologise for not visiting everyone I usually comment on at present but the holiday internet is restricted to a few minutes a day. It's partly therapy....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm. that sounded good. That's what I call making the most of what's available.

sallywrites said...

Sounds good!

We are back home as of today......

It all feels too normal.....

Bittersweet said...

mmmm - i have faggots in my freezer. i feel suddenly hungry.

enjoy your holiday ...

Fi said...

Your way with words has worked wonders again - I'm now also hungry, despite just having eaten my lunch. At my desk. Again.

PS When you get a chance check out my tractor :) It goes and everything.

Unknown said...

Yummmmmmmmmmy! Sounds pretty darn good, however I am not much for the bacon though, and to think I am now hungry.

buffalodick said...

Enjoy your time off and by the way, Yanks spell it whiskey....