Wednesday, July 30, 2008

A Gentlemans Dilema


Now I am not really a great one for cleaning the car. In fact with this as my opener I can hear various colleagues and sisters going down the snigger and ‘you can say that again’ road. That said I do like to try and empty it before I fill it up again to go on holiday.
My house I like to keep clean and from time to time the garden looks good but my car….well its an agricultural vehicle. Take in to account that She Of The Town House regularly fills it to busting groaning with loads of logs, trees that haven’t been made in to logs yet, scaffolding, tools, cement, spare compost heaps, and second hand anything that takes her fancy. Oh yes, whenever Asbo takes to the road you can bet he will be on top of the pile as well, shedding hair like an Olympic hair shedder preparing for the Olympic hair shedding event in earnest.
So for some weeks now I have been quite pleased that she has promised to give it a good going over. In fact now I think about it, it may even be months since she first dusted off that promise. And there in lies the problem you see. The Hallett annual holiday starts tomorrow with a mad dash to the coast and a ferry connection and so far it is only the promise that has been dusted off and nothing else.
Today I decided, despite loads of important messing about on the net having a list of jobs as long as my arm to sort out, to take the task in hand myself.
Now I hope I haven’t mentioned Augean stables so recently that it is repetitive, but if old Herc had even looked at the state of my car I suspect he would have just shrugged and concluded that walking alone in the desert feeling sorry wasn’t such a bad lot, apologised to the oracle and , told Theseus not to bother looking him up again.
( I see here that Microsoft deems the last sentence unfit and in need of fragmentation. God help PG Wodehouse that’s all I can say)
So I have spent all afternoon hovering, scrubbing and, wiping. Much of it involving over close examination of stuff that may just keep me awake tonight.
Underneath all I have found an earring.
If any of you out there wish to reclaim it before I wave it in front of She Of The Town House I may well be saved a world of trouble. I mean it looks like the one she lost last year…but you never can tell with these things……..

The Holiday? Ah yes, Bordeaux for the next week then a fortnight in Lulworth Cove
Do drop in if you have a mind.
Cheers all.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy holidays, and I hope, for your sake the earring finds the good wifes ear!

Carnalis said...

pretty.

Lulworth?

I am bound to be fossicking with small boys at some point, as it is almost our favourite beach. We might have cake ..

meredic said...

john.g. - blimey I really will be in trouble mate, I 'm not married and neither is She Of The Town House

Carnalis - If you were to come bearing cake you would be most welcome I am sure. I shall attempt to send you my phone number!

Anonymous said...

Just for the record, the earing found was just like one I have hanging up on my earing rack. Thing is, the one on my rack is one that I found whilst cleaning the car sometime last year - and that one did not belong to me either...!

Now, i am off on my hols...!!!!

She O T T H

meredic said...

Quiet in the cheap seats and get your own blooming blog!

meredic said...

As if I am going to have a domestic in fromt of all these people!!

Unknown said...

Well you should be!!

buffalodick said...

Cleaning out the car is never any fun, and I have found things under the seats that might cause questions, too...

sallywrites said...

Oh Wow! Bordeaux. Drink some wine for us! And have a great time in Lulworth too.... If you happen to need to pass the Forest of Dean... do please drop in..

headless chicken said...

Happy holidays Meredic!
We are off to Saundersfoot in the camper in a few weeks with Izzy, Eliza and Carter who will all be armed with buckets, spades and nets. Should be fun!
Remember to call in if you happen to be near the Forest.X

Lesley said...

You were over here when I was over there. Hope you had a good time.