Friday, November 30, 2007

Genetically Modified


I am sitting awake at just after four in the morning and would probably be a whole lot better off asleep.
I am thinking about the clothes that I wear like a second skin.
I really only have two modes of dress recently. An unlike Einstein in every other respect I think that it is from him that I get the idea of wardrobe. Mind you it could be from the guy that Geoff Goldblum played in ‘The Fly’.
I have my work mode uniform and my jeans and black t-shirt. Buy two of everything and you never have to think about what to wear. Goodness only knows what people think when they see me in the same clothes week after month but I care little …. no hang on that’s not true…. I care for my appearance once and then I don’t like to think about it again.
This month I have had some disasters though. Jeans that have been with me since the mid nineties have bitten the dust and my school shoes, shoes that I hoped would see me to retirement, have sprung. I have been raggedy arsed and poorly shod. In addition the strategy of lining my pockets with plastic bags in order to prevent items falling through the holes led to a night having to search a whole beach for my car keys.
I have been forced to bite the bullet and lash out on a whole new wardrobe.
Well at least that’s it for another decade. Provided that I can figure out where my umpty pairs of black socks wiggle off when the washing machine door closes.

14 comments:

headless chicken said...

I do sympathise.....I don't like clothes shopping which is probably why I too still wear clothes which I wore years ago! If you keep things for long enough they come into fashion even if they weren't fashionable when you bought them! I am often unknowingly wearing all the latest trends, according to Rose.
I suspect your black socks have wiggled off to join our elusive odd ones of various sizes and colour....bearing in mind thats seven peoples worth of sock changing everyday!
Do you feel all lovely in your new clothes?:)
What a very long comment!

Vi said...

Oh the socks that go into that black hole. I know it too well!

buffalodick said...

I have two colors of socks; black for work, white for not work. My pants, shirts, and sweaters are blue, gray, black, and tan. Everything goes with everything. I'm to an age where no one is looking at me anyway- unless they smell something...

Dave said...

Will you be posing for the supplements in your new gear?

Disappearing socks ended for me when the kids had finally left home.

startare said...

Hey, Jeff, just check your fly before you step into the classroom!
I wish you luck finding something that will last as long as the old faithful that passed away. These days clothes manufacturers and importers are not into that kind of item.

Anonymous said...

I hate buying clothes too. There was a time when I was slim enough to wear my daughter's cast-offs but alas, no longer.

Sophie said...

Weeelll, speaking as someone who is still regularly wearing a nice blue T-shirt that my mum owned in the 60s, and which my big sis then wore all through the 70s, I can't really advise on the whole business. Remember what Thoreau said: "Beware of any enterprise which requires new clothes"!

Sparkle Plenty said...

WOW! I dig Sophie's Thoreau quote! However, oddly enough, I, too, have been compelled to buy new jeans, boots, and sneakers (plimsolls, trainers, I stumble for the correct word here) of late. It's the whole "losing things out of pockets" and "fear of indecent exposure charges" thingy. But, RATS! I like clothes when they are well-broken-in. My new clothes are unobliging strangers at the moment--a bit stiff and formal and not yet chummy with my chassis. Here's an offer: If you have any white socks to spare, send them my way--I think I just found some of your black ones. (Changing sock migration patterns...must be yet another sign of global warming?) BE WELL and good luck with all of your hectic-life-stuff! :-)

Vi said...

Hi meredic, If I dont get a chance to visit you again before I leave to Oz, I'd like to wish you a Merry Christmas! Hope you have a good one!.

Bittersweet said...

where have you wiggled off to?

sallywrites said...

They eat them!

sallywrites said...

I took your advice by the way. (See my blog!)

Unknown said...

Um...you just describe my better half wardrobe, now if I can only get him to try on something and different for a change so I can run off with his old worn out shirts which I think would make good cleaning rags for windows.

Jayne said...

Hello, it s December and nearly Christmas. Hope you aren't too busy over the holidays and have a great Christmas.

Take care.