Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Attention To Detail



I toss him one of those crunchy sticks he likes. He swallows it after one bite and rests. At ease but alert for the next one.
Asbo understands you see. Or at least he listens, which in my observation is probably all of us need anyway.
I have taken a short break from the reports, we are taking an easy round of our favourite marine walk, here at the chair, for a short while we put our feet and paws up and set the world to rights.
“Its about the shoes mate.”
And he is my mate you know, the dog and I have a bond….
“Its taken me ten years to get these how I like them.”
Asbo gives me a sympathetic glance and so I toss him another of the crunchy sticks he likes. It disappears again in the same manner of the last.
Others; people who would do well to walk a mile in a mans shoes, have been looking at my footwear and figuring that I would benefit from a change.
Change the shoes that have grown to fit me like a second skin.
We sit on and look at the tide run against the boats, evening sunlight dappling the stumps of the Vadre opposite.
“I don’t know what to do about it.”
After a minute or two, I toss him another of the crunchy sticks he likes. I am amazed by his capacity for these little gravy bones, especially as they never seem to touch the sides.
Down by the river a lone heron stalks through the rock pools, picking morsels that we cant see from the bladder wrack. Taking the last hour of the long daylight for his suppertime.
“Ah well mate, lets catch a pint on the quay before we go back shall we?”
In anticipation of a possible share in some pork scratchings Asbo stretches and we both stand.
As we turn homeward bound I dig into the pocket for the last time and absent mindedly toss him the memory stick with my reports on. It disappears in one……

5 comments:

Lesley said...

No!

Rich said...

Many more bites in one of those....

headless chicken said...

Meredic!
Your flying visit today prompted me to look at your blog for the first time in months. I'd forgotten how much I enjoy reading your posts and will endeavour to do so more regularly! It was so lovely to see you, though a pity it was so brief. Must make it a proper catch-up next time along with the rest of the gang!
Hope you had a great evening, communicate again soon.xxx

sablonneuse said...

Oh dear. So you'll be on poo watch will you? Or don't you think it would work after going through a dog?

As for the shoes I do sympathise. My comfy old sandals are just how I like them but my daughter told me off yesterday and said they stink.

Leah said...

Please, please tell me you didn't REALLY feed poor ASBO your reports?

That's worse than him eating the homework! xx